Sunday, March 29, 2009

Traveling with Marilyn

"It's official", my daughter Jill said to me as I was leaving the bitter cold of the Northeast for sunny (I hoped) Florida, "You are a snowbird!" 

And that, dear friends, is why I haven't posted in quite a while.  So here is the catch-up.

I first visited friends in Naples (Florida) which is more Eastern than Southern.  It does not take long to find someone from home.  Once a month, the local Abbott's Ice Cream stand holds a reunion-like "Rochester" night. I am told even Brother Wease of talk radio shows up there.  

 The locals were complaining about the cold weather.  Yes, it was in the 50's a couple of days....... oh dear.....!  I left Naples after a few days traveling back in time to Gasparilla Island, a place where I have some history.  When I graduated from Law School, three of us took annual vacations on that little known island where the only grocery store opened and closed whenever it felt like it and was never open on Sunday.  

To get to the Island, you have to cross a toll bridge and once there, you really don't want to leave.  The atmosphere has not changed and while I had some difficulty with my weekend reservation, I settled for a night at the Gasparilla Inn made famous by the Bushies.  It is old Florida with jackets and dressy dresses for dinner.  Obviously, the clientele was a bit over 50 and if you considered only men, it was pushing 70. I ate in one of the many good restaurants and took a trip down memory lane visiting Miller's, The Pink Elephant, Fugate's, and of course, the beach.  The balance of the time was at Boca Grande Club, an upscale development with many condos and villas.  Mine was on the beach and it was my long day there that ended with a water-logged phone.  How was I supposed to know the bottle leaked?  Like Scarlett, I said I would think about it tomorrow.

Tomorrow came and I headed for Orlando to meet a friend and use a time-share I have with Marriott.  This was located a couple of miles from Disney and was really lovely.  Great accommodations, setting and weather---great weather!!  We really became tourists, sleeping in....actually that was me, Joyce is up at dawn.  She also cooks great meals so food was not an issue.  I have known Joyce since we were in grade school and it was terrific to re-connect.  

While there, we saw the shuttle launch (wow!), shopped, and sat in the sun by any one of several available pools.  We did not engage in the many activities offered by the resort but did spend one day at Disney combining Animal Kingdom and Epcot where their annual flower show was in full bloom. We explored the Orlando area and were treated to dinner and opening night at their Shakespeare Theater Festival.  I have an "in" with the Artistic Director who is family twice removed.  What would you call that?? The theater reminded me of my hometown's local equity house but Jim's season agenda is much more ambitious.  He is doing an incredible job there and the performance of "Much Ado About Nothing" was full of energy, laughs and great character acting.

And, I got a new phone!

Leaving Florida was difficult and I am trying to make more permanent plans for next year.  Up in New York, besides attending a board meeting of the Women's Bar Association, I had my grandmother fix with a birthday party for my six-year old grandson, watching his adorable sister, and holding the newest of my eleven.  However, sad news interrupted my travels which were planned for a quick hop into Boston for my film lovers award ceremony.  Chlotrudis will have to wait another year.  

I returned home so that I could attend the funeral services for my brother who died that Friday.  This meant a very long car ride to West Virginia made a bit easier by the constant banter between my son and daughter and their newly acquired mascot, The Raven.  Originally, it was a gift for his nephew that my son brought home from London but my daughter confiscated it and since these two have been talking for and to animals since they could talk, the conversation was on.  If I can I will download a picture of my son and The Raven.  I don't think I have heard Jill laugh so hard in a long time.  Thank you, Ronnie.

And now friends, you think, she is home for sure...... No, I am not.  Three days was all I had at home before leaving for Denver and flying into the blizzard of the season in the Rockies.  What? 
After this, I am off to Sedona, Arizona, land of the Sun for a week.... more later.

No comments: