Saturday, June 7, 2008

You Had Me At, "Well....."

I was crying before she hit the stage and even now she didn't disappoint. Hillary Clinton is history but not in the way some want her to be. She is moving the barriers and cracking that ceiling even for those women who don't get it. It is the older ones who do because we have been there, done that and know what just happened. It will never be the same for women again. And that is remarkable because it is a significant step forward. There were so many times I wanted her to quit. Give it up. You don't need this Hillary. You don't have to put up with having your words twisted, being called a whore, a monster, a b----, and being degraded with a nutcracker in your image using your thighs to crack the nuts or your face on every sheet of a toilet paper roll. You are a sitting senator from New York and a former first lady. You could be viewed in a better light if you just didn't push so hard. They don't want you Hillary so shut up and go away.

I wanted her to leave this race so many times because it was so hateful and shameful. I understood. And every day that she continued, that she didn't go away, that she refused to step aside, I was pumped with pride. Even last Tuesday, when AP reported she would concede that night, I knew it was a false report. Hillary would never release such news before the voting ended in Montana and South Dakota. It was wishful thinking by media mouths. Then they reported the end would be in a couple of days. No, Friday. It was today, Saturday which she chose. The tv showmen (I will never call them journalists or reporters) demanded a concession..they argued amongst themselves, why is she only suspending her campaign, even though every other presidential candidate including republicans had done that? Is she angling for Vice President? Those Clintons, how can we get rid of them??

In fact, Hillary is more respected and liked today than ever. She is an example and a role model to girls and women everywhere. She could coast along on this for the rest of her life but she won't. Hillary is my hero, my daughter's hero, my son's hero and a hero, period.

I still have tears in my eyes but I am so proud.

And I have to add this from my daughter because it is similar but with so much more passion. Thanks Em.....

well....
I cried and cried- I just couldn't stop- I mean every time she said we will vote for Barak my head said, "YES!" but my heart was broken. I kept thinking how strong she was to go this far- and frankly- name me one man who would have gone this far? I dont think anyone would- they all would have been pulled into some backroom and given a glass of scotch and told- "It's time buddy! You put up a good fight...but its time" like Mitt Romney...But not her- there was no pulling her in a back room- she did an amazing thing for the party- for women and for Barak- she got 20 million new voters! and with the 2000 election being less than 1000 votes difference- those 20 million new voters that signed up because Hillary hung in there will likely win Barak the election.

When she was done doing what she had to do to "unite the party" (BTW I love how close the word UNITE is to UNTIE) there was a moment when her speech turned- and I felt like she said all the things she probably has not been able to say about women and equal rights and the struggles we have had over abolition, civil rights and the women's right to vote- it was beautiful and so I cried some more- and I hung on every word...and then she talked about the glass ceiling being broken into 18 million little pieces and when she said that we have shot 50 women into space you would think its time to shoot one into the white house and I was saying "Amen!" and then at one point she talked about women and girls who think about something and wonder if they should or shouldn't or can or can't or won't and she said "Stop right there!" I literally started to pick up my hands and applaud the TV- as if I was standing right in that room.

I will never forget it- ever- its a defining moment in my life- I loved most of all how she said that she grew up taking for granted the woman's right to Vote and Chelsea grew up with women doing the same jobs as men- and that our children- my kids- my Phoebe will just always think that its unremarkable for a women to run for and be president- and that was the remarkable thing....its was incredible mom. I watched it alone on my couch...and I kept thinking- its 11:00 in the am Saturday- who is watching this- I only knew because Mark called and told me he was listening on the radio- and they were late to Cal's game and Cal said, "Dad- can we stay in the car and listen to a few more minutes?" Even my 11 year old son was captivated by the speech as it was heard in a hot car on the radio when he was already late to his little league game.

If I can upload this video, it is very appropriate for all of us and that includes Cal...

http://www.youtube.com/v/l9z-Aatd0wA&hl=en">http://www.youtube.com/v/l9z-Aatd0wA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave
-flash" width="425" height="344">

2 comments:

Michael C. said...

Great wrap-up, both Marilyn and Emily. I did my part in Massachusetts!

The Barr Family said...

yes and I kept thinking that, "This is a speech that could never have been given by a man." I loved that her words were strong and feminine, she spoke with authority and with a maternal grace. Amazing. That was not an "Audition for VP" it was not a "swan song" it was a call to arms!