Monday, June 23, 2008

Summertime and the living.....

Well, summer is here and I love it. I love the heat and the humidity---no kidding, I do. I have been away from this blog because I have had two grandchildren here and a graduation of a grandson. It has been busy!!! I did manage to see a few movies and I can actually recommend one. Young At Heart is a documentary film on a group of seniors (average age is 81) who sing and travel the world. They are an eclectic bunch many who prefer classical music but follow the lead of a musical director who gets them to do the vocal renditions of Rolling Stones and Beatles songs. It is a fun, unique and poignant movie that can be viewed and enjoyed by people of all ages.

There was also a classic playing at the Dryden ( a local movie museum originally built for George Eastman), Gloria starring Gena Rowlands and directed by John Cassavetes. It is so good and could easily be used in film schools to show the difference a good director can make in lifting a story from the ordinary to the profound. Of course, it doesn't hurt to have the wonderful Gena Rowlands in the title role. This movie was remade by Sidney Lumet and starred Sharon Stone and it could not compare at all. Play the Lumet one alongside the original to see the difference. Sharon Stone was a distraction maybe because she was too beautiful and could not deliver the layered mood of the main character. Gloria, played to perfection by Rowlands, is an over the hill "gun moll" thrust into the role of mother/protector of a nine year old boy; a role she doesn't want and really hopes to relinquish, but doesn't. Rowlands is amazing and was nominated for an academy award for her acting in this film. It was great to see it on the big screen again.

Oh, and I saw Kung Fu Panda----(remember the grandchildren?) Enough said.

All my time is not spent inside a dark theater but I do get there often. I did go outdoors for the annual Ladies Professional Golf at a local country club. I have been doing this since 1978 and still enjoy the beauty and peace of the golf course early in the day before the crowds pour in. I am amazed at how international the field of golfers has become. The listings are truly from all over the world, Sweden, Norway, Korea, Japan, Mexico, and on. The women played so well the winner was 15 under. Wow! Of course, while I watched my mind wandered as I surveyed the players, the crowd, vendors, volunteers etc. I actually thought of the whole thing as a movie set. Mmmm--I just can't get away from it, can I? Oh well....

A final note on politics....it is quiet isn't it?? It is almost like "Who Cares"? Is that just me because my gal isn't in it any longer or something more? Maybe it is just the lull before the conventions and the general elections. I don't know. What do you think??

No comments: