Thursday, April 22, 2010

Emily and her personal Idol Gives Back


When I listened last night to Annie Lennox sing Universal Child on American Idol, I thought of my daughter, Emily and how she made all of us, in spite of ourselves, participate in a global adoption that saved two Ethiopian boys.  My Emily had the courage and determination to ask us for our help, for our money and she faced our doubts, concerns and questions about why she would do this.  It seemed to us she had lost perspective, failed to get her priorities right about her own family, a husband and three young children and was placing more of a burden on herself, them and yes, on the rest of us, too. 

There are so many ways we are called to service and I know now that Emily called her family to service for Michael and Yabsarra.  When I was concerned about what she was doing, what the impact might be on their own three children, she answered my questions but did not really convince me she was doing the right thing.  She needed lots of money and help in the form of babysitting support from friends who would care for her own children while she and her husband went to Ethiopia. She asked her friends and family for the support she needed and somehow, she had the strength to ignore our lack of enthusiasm and the courage to confront our opposition.  In order to bring those two boys home, she had to accept we didn’t agree with her decision and still ask us to give her whatever was necessary to pay the agency fees and travel expenses.  She understood better than any of us that what she was doing would really make a difference in the lives of two boys and she also understood the risks she was taking and the possible long-term impact on her family. I think what Emily did takes vision and faith.  These qualities are essential when a great person walks down a difficult and different path.

I know now she was right.  I could make a donation to Idol Gives Back but it would never come back to me in the same way my giving to Emily has.  I have the benefit of seeing the tangible results of my gift by watching two boys grow, laugh, and experience life with a Mom and Dad, brother and sisters. Every day, my investment grows into amazing dividends. I know that my daughter Emily did more than set up a clinic in Durban, or work to eradicate Pediatric Aids in Cape Town, South Africa.  She saved two children from poverty and disease and the devastation of daily hunger…she saved their lives and gave them a future.

And Emily made us all be a part of this wonderful life-changing event.

No comments: