Monday, January 18, 2010

Movies to remember (and forget)

It is that time of year....the award season when we get to see a few good movies and a couple of exceptional ones. Problem this year is where are they?? I do like a few but remain fairly unimpressed and I am not sure why. The movies that we are hearing a lot about and gradually getting to see since I do not live in a major movie market are sometimes interesting but awesome is a word I can leave off the page. Let's take a look at those mentioned for the awards....dare we say Oscar? And they have to come up with TEN nominees...what a year to make that decision.

The Hurt Locker-- This is a very good movie and I love it that a gritty war movie was directed by a woman...Go Kathryn....although I heard somewhere that she wouldn't let her movie be screened at a film festival that focused on women film-makers because she really doesn't want to be included in that group niche. I guess she forgot what sex started this business of making movies where it is her ex-husband's shadow she is still trying to get out from under. Anyway, this movie is worth seeing but it does reminds me of any one of several episodes of "24". Lots of close-ups of sweating men and big explosions. Nothing new is explored in this movie but a familiar story line is delivered well.

Avatar--Let's talk about the elephant in the living room and the Golden Globe winner...I always say the Globes give out awards so the Oscars don't have to. And this is one. I did like this movie and recommend it to everyone. Make sure you see the 3-D version because it is quite a ride. I loved the visuals, the colors, the beautiful animals, people and landscapes---you know, sort of like watching "Earth" or "Oceans." The story-line (yes, there is one) is so thin it could have been the winner of the 5th grade writing contest. And going along with the premise that if something worked once, do it again, this movie, like Titanic, has a love story too but honestly, no one really cared.

Invictus--Clint Eastwood knows how to tell a story and the choice of Morgan Freeman to play Mandela was a no-brainer but Matt Damon?? I smell a package deal from an agency trying to raise money for this project. But really, did this movie have to suffer for all of us to learn that Matt cannot do an accent. I kept thinking who else? Who would you have liked to see in that part? I believe (at least partially) that the success of any movie is determined once the casting is over. If they had found someone, maybe even an unknown, who could have delivered that important role we would have the Oscar winner. Freeman was impeccable and Eastwood put together a taut movie which isn't easy when you are doing a biopic but it was like watching a great show and one of the leads is singing off-key throughout. I think they tried to limit Matt's dialogue and edit out what they could but the role was too important and it was a dead weight drag on an otherwise very good movie.

Young Victoria--This is the surprise movie for me. After all, I thought I had seen the best with Helen Mirren and Cate Blanchett. But, Emily Blunt held her own and better yet, she created a very likable, fully multifaceted character. She had a lot of help from Paul Bettany and other greats in cameo roles but this movie told a good story with great visuals, beautiful costumes and good acting. The camera work was creative by providing a bird's eye view of the massive coronation/wedding scenes that we usually see through a long lens showing us thousands of extras in ornate halls. I liked this one more than I thought I would.

Nine---Unfortunately, the individual parts are better than the whole with Daniel Day Lewis leading a talented cast through a lot of special moments. Who wouldn't want to see Penelope Cruz at her sexiest and Judy Dench showing us again her range and a little cleavage? Lewis reminds us again why he is a great actor becoming so Italian, you forgot he is a Brit. All the actors strut their stuff and it is fun to watch. I would say go see this on the big screen so the movie can hold your attention because the story doesn't.

Lovely Bones-- Roger Ebert found this movie "deplorable" and not because of the acting or cinematography. It is the message he did not like and I think I agree with him. Peter Jackson proves once again he can make a movie that is beautiful to watch even if it is about the brutal murder of a 14 year old girl but why? The acting all around is fine and Saoirse Ronan shows us she has more than one role in her besides Atonement. She is quite good as is Stanley Tucci but this is one story better read than seen.

Up in the Air---What can I say.....this is a very interesting story delivered by very competent actors with nice editing but I didn't care. It is a good movie, not great and without Clooney, it wouldn't have made it this far. He is the Cary Grant of our time and always a pleasure to watch. He will never play a really awful person and that will greatly limit his career. Then again, Cary did okay, didn't he?

The Single Man---This is the only movie I have watched this year that really moved me. (I haven't seen Precious yet) I credit Colin Firth for that. I (and many other women) have always loved to watch him in all his romantic, self deprecating roles but this one is different. It is a career best and in my opinion deserves the Oscar (And no, I haven't seen Crazy Heats yet either) This movie is about grief and loss of a loved one. Firth is superb in his stupor, his rage, and his stillness. Words are not necessary because he uses his body and face to deliver his despair. It is a sad and beautiful movie. Good work, Tom Ford.

It's Complicated----Now I really had fun watching this movie. It was a romantic comedy for the more "mature" among us. And, I suspect, all of us who have gone through a divorce must linger at least once over the thought that maybe, just maybe it could have all worked out. Alec Baldwin has Jack Benny's comedic timing blood coursing through his veins. And Meryl Streep is his match. What fun! Forget the critics....go and enjoy.

The Blind Side--While I am discussing movies that you will like (and the critics didn't) this is another one. Oh yes, it is predictable and many times even trite but Sandra Bullock manages to go to the edge of becoming too sappy, stopping just in time. Good for her. One critic said she actually did a part well without tripping or a prat-fall. True, but the accent came close. Still it is one I can recommend.

Sherlock Holmes---Robert Downey Jr. has another franchise hit. With Iron Man and this, he can write his own ticket in Hollywood. It may be easier to talk about why this movie didn't work than why it did because the acting, story line and special effects were very good but for me, there were problems. I am a lover of the Holmes' stories--great for your deductive thinking processes. The movie remembered to include the early clues to solving the mystery; they were just concealed really well, so Sherlock (Downey) had to periodically talk us through them with quick visual flashbacks. This helped the movie remain true to the Doyle writing technique we all love but it was, at times, confusing. The pace of the movie was either fast or faster and that is the opposite of the real Sherlock Holmes who is pensive and thoughtful. They sped it up for the younger set which did not work for me. Still worth seeing but not Oscar worthy.

Star Trek--Most people have forgotten about this movie but it really was one of the best last year. Why? Because it realistically and faithfully re-started this well known franchise. This movie was all about the story and everything from the actors to the costumes, to the cinematography supported that goal. It worked and worked well. Loved the use of "our" Spock to make the generational connect and that evil guy from Heroes as the literate, more highly evolved species we know and love as Spock. This is one that will hold up and should be nominated.

So there are twelve---a few listed below I have not seen yet so maybe I might add another movie to the list. I guess the Academy can get to ten but it won't be easy. I have not reviewed any foreign or animated films here but I may do so in another blog.

DID NOT SEE.....yet!!
The Serious Man
Precious
Crazy Heart



No comments: