Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Mammogram (spoiler alert)

Just heard about the new guidelines for getting a mammogram and guess what, you can wait until you are fifty!!

My first reaction was how far ahead of the curve I was because that is when I got my first.....then as I listened to the NBC "expert" (yes, the quotes are what you think) say how the studies now show there is no proof that doing it sooner than age fifty saves lives. Forty has previously been the standard. Also, there was a hint during the news report (fear factor spoiler alert) that there was a possible downside from the radiation you are being exposed to by having those 10 mammograms in your forties.

That is when I said ---wait a minute!! First, mammograms have been around for over 40 years. While mammography started in 1960 it wasn't until 1976 that it became the standard screening device for breast cancer. And, just now they want us to believe they have accumulated enough data to make this new recommendation and suggest a possible radiation danger. Second, why now and if ten x-rays cause over-exposure to radiation, better warn those football players who probably have at least one xray a year for ten or more years of playing that sport. Third, whenever something just doesn't make sense or "add up" I remember the words of a very wise woman..."follow the money." Let's see... what do you think annual mammograms for women in their forties cost insurance companies? Will they now refuse to pay for this procedure for women in their forties calling it unreliable or experimental??

Is it possible that this information is just now being released to reduce costs and increase profits for the insurance companies (after all they are spending billions in ads opposing health care reform) or it is true and then, the question is, what took them so long? Does it really take over 40 years to collect data? I was opposed to having a mammogram for years (my forties actually) and I used to say to my doctor I would have a mammogram when men's testicles were crushed by a machine to determine prostrate cancer because I was sure no man would tolerate what we women did (and still do) without objection. Men actually can have a blood test to determine prostrate cancer. Why can't women??

I have never been convinced of the value of mammograms and now that the validity of the procedure is being questioned, maybe it is time for women to get involved and really take a good look at this procedure. After all, it is a part of our bodies that we allow a machine to flatten like a pancake, sometimes causing bruising or other damage. Maybe we need to ask why?


No comments: